Arroz Con Dulce
(Arroz con Coco)
CANDIED COCONUT RICE
1½ cups rice
4¼ cups coconut milk
1½ teaspoons salt
3 cinnamon sticks
2 ounces ginger
6 whole cloves
Pinch of nutmeg-optional
1½ cups sugar
½ cup raisins
3/4 cup coconut milk (reserve to use at the end)
- Wash rice and soak in water to cover, generously, for 2 hours. The rice will soak up the water so use plenty.
- About twenty minutes before rice is finished soaking combine the 4½ cups of coconut milk, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg in a medium size caldero (Spanish rice pot).
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to moderate, cover and boil for 15 minutes.
- Drain rice thoroughly and add to caldero. Mix and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low and cook until rice is completely dry, without stirring.
- Add the sugar and raisins, stir, and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 15 minutes, without stirring.
- Add reserved 3/4 cup coconut milk and stir. Turn heat to moderate and boil for about 30 minutes, or until rice dries again. In this cooking period, turn rice over occasionally and scrape bottom of caldero.
- Remove spices. Spoon rice into a flat serving platter. Allow to cool at room temperature.
- Refrigerate for best results, serve cold.