Tostones with Crab Meat
Wow! Talk about a burst of flavor and seafood yumminess! Serve with a side of sliced avocado as a pre-dinner dish or place neatly on a platter as an appetizer.
10 oz. crab meat, cooked and diced (or canned)
¼ cup red onions, diced
¼ cup bell pepper, diced (we used a combination of yellow and green peppers)
1 tsp. oregano, ground
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro for garnish
1. Make tostones.
- 5 tablespoons oil for frying
- 1 plantains, peeled and broken into chunks
- 3 cups cold water
- salt to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Place the plantains in the oil and fry on both sides; approximately 3 1/2 minutes per side.
- Remove the plantains from the pan and flatten the plantains by placing a plate over the fried plantains and pressing down.
- Return them to the hot oil and fry 1 minute on each side.
- Gently fold together crab, red onion, peppers, oregano, lime juice and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Top each toston with crab mixture, and garnish with cilantro leaves.